Saturday, August 8, 2009

Red Eyed Vireos

We are finally on vacation and finally have good weather, at least for today as it is already clouding up here in Northern NJ. Had to clean some large Impatiens away from the side of the pond as it was blocking out the sun for the frogs. They love their sunny moss covered rocks!

I was buzzed over and over by a hummingbird female. At first I thought she was mad because I was removing the impatiens but soon found out that there were 5 Red Eyed Vireos in the small shrub I suspect she has a nest in.

I have never seen any of these birds before so not only are they new to our yard, but new to my life list (that I have not been good at up keeping or adding to).

In any case, the Vireos hung around the pond for some time, in and out of the Elderberry, Spicebush and Hydrangeas around it. The female hummingbird actually came over to me as I sat on the lawn with my binoculars and hovered for a few minutes so close to my face I could feel the breeze from her nearly invisible wings. I guess she was thanking me, I don't know. But the Fuchsias on the patio attracted her attention and off she went.

The Vireos are gone now, flew over the rock wall and down towards the creek where I can see a pretty good size Buck taking a rest. He had better not snack on our garden after nap time is over. I have to get back to weeding and basically relaxing on this first day of vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment